Milestones of Mildenhall Cricket Club.
1876 Club formed and “Played on a meadow by the riverside beyond the mill”
1878 Moved to the heath a half a mile out of the town because the meadow to swampy
Probably on land now used by “Upper school
1888 Wiped off liabilities and using Mr Fotesque’s meadow.
1894 Reformed with amalgamation of senior and junior clubs.
1895 “The Cricket Club after a long illness has died insolvent”
1898 Reformed due to work of Secretary/Treasurer. Reverend H.Wooley.
1901 Work of H.Oxlade as Secretary/Treasurer saved club and moved to St Andrews Street.
1902 Cleared of debts.
1905 First of five professionals and Wicket relaid.
1910 First century, Dr F.R.Bardwell 104 v Exning.
1912 First record of A.W.Neve playing.
1914 Cricket suspended during the First World War.
1921 Club reformed after the war. A.W.Neve Secretary.
1925 Played in Newmarket league.
1928 Lowest recorded score, seven all out!
1931 Withdrew from Newmarket league after six seasons without success.
Death of Sir Henry C.J.Bunbury, President since his father died in 1885 .
1932 Return to pre-war practises of entertaining visitors to teas.
1936 A.W.Neve retires as Secretary after 15 years.
1937 Club refused permission for Sunday use of the ground by Sir Charles Bunbury, the owner.
1938 A.W.Neve elected as President.
1939 Regular cricket suspended during the Second World War although a few matches played.
1946 St Andrews Street ground de-requisitioned and bought by the Parish Council.
First season for H.G.Abbs.
1948 “Good season” 18 wins in 29 games. Some 2nd X1 fixtures arranged.
First 100 wicket take by Harold Taylor. Sunday play still refused. Water laid to ground.
1949 First 1000 runs in a season by H.G.(Bill) Abbs . Highest score 146n.o.
1950 Formation of Sports Club.
1951 First trophy win, Smith Cup also known as Littleport Cup.
1952 First game for Mike Clarke who became architect of the Wamil Walk ground.
Sports Club disbanded.
1953 The Club tied matches against Newmarket and then Ampton.
1955 Best season to date with ten players averaging over 10! R.A.F Mildenhall use ground.
1956 Poor seasonal weather and club struggles to raise two X1’s.
1958 Second X1 disbanded for a short period.
1960 Steve Cooke elected Sunday Captain as club commences moves to play at home on Sundays.
1961 First season on Youth (U21) cricket.
1963 First Sunday home matches.
1965 Black and amber caps adopted. First club tour (Caerphilly)
Mike Kill joins the club as a player progessing to life long groundsman.
1966 Mildenhall lose to Histon after being bowled out for 21 including 10 ducks.
1967 Most wickets in a season, Mike Finnis grabs 143.
1968 First Orby Wood cup win beating Bury St Edmunds in 20 over competition.
1969 Death of A.W.Neve after 58 years connection with the club. H.G.Abbs elected President.
First plans to move to Wamil Walk.
1970 Tony Cornell wins first single wicket competition. First Annual Dinner/Dance at West Row Village Hall.
First of four wins in West Suffolk Youth (U21’s) cup.
“As in victory so in defeat” adopted as club motto.
1972 Club moves to Wamil Way ground and starts with Single Wicket competition.
1973 First sightscreens donated by Phillip Drakard.
1974 Tony Carter and Grenville Dale emulate Bill Abbs and score 1000 runs in a season.
Trevor Cooke and Gerry Widger both take 100 wickets in a season.
Grenny Dale scores first century on Wamil ground.
1975 Mildenhall post highest score todate with 309 for 7 at Barry Island in tour match.
Grenny Dale breaks club record with 153 in the same match.
Wamil Wasps have full season of Sunday morning football fixtures.
1976 Cententary year celebrated with a Gala week in August culminating with first County match.
Suffolk CCC v Huntingdon CCC match features first use of covers made by Gerry Widger .
1977 First Minor Counties match on ground..Suffolk v Norfolk.
1978 Joined newly formed Forest Heath Cricket league being played at the Dome Sports Centre.
1981 Club plays first league matches in 50 years when it joins the “Dairytime” Suffolk league.
1982 Suffolk Indoor Cricket champions and reach quarter final of national competition.
1983 Kevin Boardman (joined 1981) takes up the Youth Coaching role * still active as at 2011
MCC entertain the iconic "Arabs" !
1988 Suffolk Indoor Cricket champions
1989 MCC launch the Wyn Sharpe Twenty/20 Cup competition
Two extra changing rooms added to the pavilion together with gas fired central heating.
1990 Club joins Two Counties league and stays in Suffolk league playing some fixtures as “Double headers”
1991 Club tours Yorkshire.
1992 Andy Squire scores 139 in Suffolk v Lincs match at Wamil Way.
First 3rd X1 fixtures in Mick McNeil league.
First Cricket Bat willow trees planted at bottom of second pitch.
1993 Under 15's reach the National Finals and finish 4th
1994 Grand Slam of Cup competitions as five local trophies enter the trophy cabinet.
Under 15's reach the National Finals and finish 3rd
1996 Electronic scoreboard added on to the pavilion.
1997 First Suffolk Cup win beating Burt St Eds by 4 wickets
1998 Artificial strip laid next to the second square and artificial covering given to net area.
Lee Chipchase scores 236 against Maldon ( highest at Mildenhall)
1999 MCC joined the East Anglian Premier league and recruit first coach Mark Feltham.
2000 First sponsored shirts provided by “Lamb Technicon”
2001 Club celebrates its 125 years exsistence.
Club hosts Suffolk v Nottinghamshire in Cheltenham & Gloucester 50 over trophy.
First outdoor tribute concert “Abba Magic”.
2002 Death of H.G.(Bill) Abbs after 56 years connection with the club. Tony Cornell elected as President.
Wyn Sharpe cup retired.
2003 Second tribute concert features “Beatlemania”
2006 Relegated from East Anglian Premier league.
Under 15’s finish 3rd in National finals at Bournemouth.
2007 Club tours Brighton area.
2008 Second Suffolk Cup win beating Bury St Edmunds CC in final.
Runners Up in Two Counties Division One.
MCC form Ladies team and they win 4 Counties league.
Jamie Lee hits 6 sixes in an over at Washam Le Willow.
2009 Major redevelopment of Pavilion. Second story and Balcony added plus new Bar area.
James Holmes claims first X1 record taking 9 for 35 against Sudbury at home.
Death of Edgar Lee. Fleet Air Arm Hero. MCC member 1950’s/60’s.
2010 Mildenhall beat Burwell to take Midweek League title , scoring a record 218-6 off 120 balls.
MCC form a 4th X1 for Saturday league matches.
2011 Tymal Mills plays in U19 England test team against Sri Lanka in Colombo.
MCC adopt Yellow and Black coloured clothing for Midweek league matches.
2012 1stX1finish runners up in Two Counties league for the 3rd time in 5 years.
Club tours to Eastbourne.
Lily Reynolds makes England Womens U19 Squad
Club Kit goes on line
Anyone with Milestones to add please contact Tony Cornell on firstname.lastname@example.org
For full details of Suffolk CCC matches played at Mildenhall click on the link http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Grounds/11/632_minc.html